Combined Surgery in the Treatment of Patients with Cataract and Primary Open-angle Glaucoma
Cataract and glaucoma are the two leading causes of blindness worldwide and frequently co-exist in the ageing population. No uniform recommendations can be proposed when the two conditions are associated. In the presence of a visually significant cataract and uncontrolled glaucoma, clinicians should consider performing combined cataract surgery and trabeculectomy. Numerous phacotrabeculectomy techniques have been proposed. However, in the absence of strong evidence in support of a specific technique, surgeons’ preference and experience may dictate the choice. Unless contraindicated, mitomycin-C should be considered in all combined procedures. In addition, novel and minimally invasive glaucoma surgical procedures, such as ab interno trabeculotomy, have recently emerged and gained in popularity. In general, these procedures have shown the potential to be combined with phacoemulsification to further lower intraocular pressure (IOP) with relatively few post-operative complications. However, available data suggest that these techniques seem unlikely to be able to achieve a degree of IOP reduction comparable with that of trabeculectomy. Rigorous studies are necessary to better understand the long-term efficacy and safety profile of these novel procedures, when performed alone or in combination with cataract surgery.
Cataract, intraocular pressure, primary open angle glaucoma, phacoemulsification, surgery, trabeculectomy
Cataract and glaucoma are the two leading causes of blindness worldwide and frequently co-exist in the ageing population. Adequate management of these two conditions may require surgical intervention. In general, cataract extraction is necessary in case of visually significant lens opacity, while surgery for glaucoma is indicated when optimum medical therapy and/or laser surgery fails to sufficiently lower intraocular pressure (IOP) or a patient does not have access to or cannot comply with medical therapy.1
As a general rule, the management of glaucoma patients should be directed towards those treatments aimed at achieving an individualised target IOP safely and efficaciously. The presence of concomitant and visually significant cataracts can challenge the decision-making process, so that clinicians need to determine how cataract extraction would best fit the management of patients with glaucoma. In particular, when a combined surgical approach for cataract and glaucoma is desired, the timing of surgery and an accurate procedure selection are important aspects to consider. Phacotrabeculectomy techniques are not standardised and the way the procedure is performed is largely dictated by the surgeon’s preference and experience.1 Furthermore, novel and minimally invasive surgical approaches to lower IOP have been recently introduced and may be combined with phacoemulsification, representing a potential alternative to phacotrabeculectomy. This review is aimed at summarising current evidence on combined surgery in the treatment of patients with cataract and primary open angle glaucoma.
To view the full article in PDF or eBook formats, please click on the icons above.
The authors have no conflicts of interest to declare.
Gianmarco Vizzeri, Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, The University of Texas Medical Branch, 301 University Boulevard, Galveston, Texas 77555-1106, US. E: email@example.com
- Weinreb RN, Crowston JG (eds), Glaucoma Surgery: Open Angle
Glaucoma. World Glaucoma Association Consensus Series – 2,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands: Kugler Publications, 2005.
- Kim KS, Kim JM, Park KH, et al., The effect of cataract surgery
on diurnal intraocular pressure fluctuation, J Glaucoma,
- Shingleton BJ, Pasternack JJ, Hung JW, O’Donoghue MW,
Three and five year changes in intraocular pressures after
clear corneal phacoemulsification in open angle glaucoma
patients, glaucoma suspects, and normal patients, J Glaucoma,
- Thirumalai B, Baranyovits PR, Intraocular pressure changes
and the implications on patient review after
phacoemulsification, J Cataract Refract Surg, 2003;29(3):504–7.
- Tennen DG, Masket S, Short-and long-term effect of clear
corneal incisions on intraocular pressure, J Cataract Refract
- Law SK, Riddle J, Management of cataracts in patients with
glaucoma, Int Ophthalmol Clin, 2011;51(3):1–18.
- Berdahl JP, Cataract surgery to lower intraocular pressure,
Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol, 2009;16(3):119–22.
- Meyer MA, Savitt ML, Kopitas E, The effect of
phacoemulsification on aqueous outflow facility,
- Poley BJ, Lindstrom RL, Samuelson TW, Schulze R Jr,
Intraocular pressure reduction after phacoemulsification
with intraocular lens implantation in glaucomatous and
nonglaucomatous eyes: evaluation of a causal relationship
between the natural lens and open-angle glaucoma,
J Cataract Refract Surg, 2009;35(11):1946–55.
- Poley BJ, Lindstrom RL, Samuelson TW, Long-term effects
of phacoemulsification with intraocular lens implantation
in normotensive and ocular hypertensive eyes,
J Cataract Refract Surg, 2008;34(5):735–42.
- Vizzeri G, Weinreb RN, Cataract surgery and glaucoma,
Curr Opin Ophthalmol, 2010;21(1):20–4.
- Issa SA, Pacheco J, Mahmood U, et al., A novel index for
predicting intraocular pressure reduction following cataract
surgery, Br J Ophthalmol, 2005;89(5):543–6.
- Mathalone N, Hyams M, Neiman S, et al., Long-term
intraocular pressure control after clear corneal
phacoemulsification in glaucoma patients,
J Cataract Refract Surg, 2005;31(3):479–83.
- Shingleton BJ, Gamell LS, O’Donoghue MW, et al., Long-term
changes in intraocular pressure after clear corneal
phacoemulsification: normal patients versus glaucoma
suspect and glaucoma patients, J Cataract Refract Surg,
- Kim DD, Doyle JW, Smith MF, Intraocular pressure reduction
phacoemulsification cataract extraction with posterior
chamber lens implantation in glaucoma patients,
Ophthalmic Surg Lasers, 1999;30(1):37–40.
- Cinotti DJ, Fiore PM, Maltzman BA, et al., Control of
intraocular pressure in glaucomatous eyes after
extracapsular cataract extraction with intraocular lens
implantation, J Cataract Refract Surg, 1988;14(6):650–3.
- Handa J, Henry JC, Krupin T, Keates E, Extracapsular cataract
extraction with posterior chamber lens implantation in
patients with glaucoma, Arch Ophthalmol, 1987;105(6):765–9.
- Altan-Yaycioglu R, Canan H, Pelit A, Akova YA, Intraocular
pressure after phacoemulsification in eyes with
pseudoexfoliation, J Cataract Refract Surg, 2009;35(5):952–4.
- Shingleton BJ, Crandall AS, Ahmed II, Pseudoexfoliation and
the cataract surgeon: preoperative, intraoperative, and
postoperative issues related to intraocular pressure,
cataract, and intraocular lenses, J Cataract Refract Surg,
- Shingleton BJ, Nguyen BK, Eagan EF, et al., Outcomes of
phacoemulsification in fellow eyes of patients with unilateral
pseudoexfoliation: single-surgeon series, J Cataract Refract Surg,
- Weinreb RN, Management of coexistent glaucoma and
cataract. In: Mills RP, Weinreb RN (eds), Glaucoma Surgery:
Principles and Techniques (Ophthalmology Monographs, 4),
San Francisco, US: Oxford University Press, 1998;66–9.
- AGIS (Advanced Glaucoma Intervention Study) Investigators,
The Advanced Glaucoma Intervention Study. 8: Risk of
cataract formation after trabeculectomy, Arch Ophthalmol,
- Mathew RG, Murdoch IE, The silent enemy: a review of
cataract in relation to glaucoma and trabeculectomy surgery,
Br J Ophthalmol, 2011;95(10):1350–4.
- Hylton C, Congdon N, Friedman D, et al., Cataract after
glaucoma filtration surgery, Am J Ophthalmol, 2003;135(2):231–2.
- Lichter PR, Musch DC, Gillespie BW, et al., Interim clinical
outcomes in the Collaborative Initial Glaucoma Treatment
Study comparing initial treatment randomized to medications
or surgery, Ophthalmology, 2001;108(11):1943–53.
- Klink J, Schmitz B, Lieb WE, et al., Filtering bleb function after
clear cornea phacoemulsification: a prospective study,
Br J Ophthalmol, 2005;89(5):597–601.
- Manoj B, Chako D, Khan MY, Effect of extracapsular cataract
extraction and phacoemulsification performed after
trabeculectomy on intraocular pressure, J Cataract Refract Surg,
- Seah SK, Jap A, Prata JA Jr, et al., Cataract surgery after
trabeculectomy, Ophthalmic Surg Lasers, 1996;27(7):587–94.
- Cioffi GA, Friedman DS, Pfeiffer N, Combined
cataract/trabeculectomy. In: Weinreb RN, Crowston JG (eds),
Consensus Series – 2. Glaucoma Surgery: Open Angle
Glaucoma, The Hague, The Nederlands: Kugler Publications,
- Levkovitch-Verbin H, Habot-Wilner Z, Burla N, et al.,
Intraocular pressure elevation within the first 24 hours after
cataract surgery in patients with glaucoma or exfoliation
syndrome, Ophthalmology, 2008;115(1):104–8.
- Shingleton BJ, Rosenberg RB, Teixeira R, et al., Evaluation of
intraocular pressure in the immediate postoperative period
after phacoemulsification, J Cataract Refract Surg,
- Vass C, Menapace R, Surgical strategies in patients with
combined cataract and glaucoma, Curr Opin Ophthalmol,
- Buys YM, Chipman ML, Zack B, et al., Prospective
randomized comparison of one- versus two-site
Phacotrabeculectomy two-year results, Ophthalmology,
- Nassiri N, Nassiri N, Rahnavardi M, et al., A comparison of
corneal endothelial cell changes after 1-site and 2-site
phacotrabeculectomy, Cornea, 2008;27(8):889–94.
- Gdih GA, Yuen D, Yan P, et al., Meta-analysis of 1- versus
2-Site Phacotrabeculectomy, Ophthalmology, 2011;118(1):71–6.
- Zhao LQ, Zhu H, Phacotrabeculectomy meta-analysis,
- Nassiri N, Nassiri N, Mohammadi B, et al., Comparison of 2
surgical techniques in phacotrabeculectomy: 1 site versus
2 sites, Eur J Ophthalmol, 2010;20(2):316–26.
- Cotran PR, Roh S, McGwin G, Randomized comparison of
1-Site and 2-Site phacotrabeculectomy with 3-year follow-up,
- Shingleton BJ, Price RS, O’Donoghue MW, et al., Comparison
of 1-site versus 2-site phacotrabeculectomy, J Cataract Refract
- Jampel HD, Friedman DS, Lubomski LH, et al., Effect of
technique on intraocular pressure after combined cataract
and glaucoma surgery: An evidence-based review,
- Borggrefe J, Lieb W, Grehn F, A prospective randomized
comparison of two techniques of combined cataractglaucoma
surgery, Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol,
- el Sayyad F, Helal M, el-Maghraby A, et al., One-site versus
2-site phacotrabeculectomy: a randomized study, J Cataract
Refract Surg, 1999;25(1):77–82.
- Wyse T, Meyer M, Ruderman JM, et al., Combined
trabeculectomy and phacoemulsification: a one-site vs a
two-site approach, Am J Ophthalmol, 1998;125(3):334–9.
- Kozobolis VP, Siganos CS, Christodoulakis EV, et al., Two-site
phacotrabeculectomy with intraoperative mitomycin-C:
fornix- versus limbus-based conjunctival opening in fellow
eyes, J Cataract Refract Surg, 2002;28(10):1758–62.
- Shingleton BJ, Chaudhry IM, O’Donoghue MW, et al.,
Phacotrabeculectomy: limbus-based versus fornix-based
conjunctival flaps in fellow eyes, Ophthalmology,
- Berestka JS, Brown SV, Limbus- versus fornix-based
conjunctival flaps in combined phacoemulsification and
mitomycin C trabeculectomy surgery, Ophthalmology,
- Tezel G, Kolker AE, Kass MA, et al., Comparative results of
combined procedures for glaucoma and cataract: II. Limbusbased
versus fornix-based conjunctival flaps, Ophthalmic Surg
- Stewart WC, Crinkley CM, Carlson AN, Fornix- vs.
limbus-based flaps in combined phacoemulsification and
trabeculectomy, Doc Ophthalmol, 1994;88(2):141–51.
- de Barros DS, Da Silva RS, Siam GA, et al. Should an iridectomy
be routinely performed as a part of trabeculectomy? Two
surgeons’ clinical experience, Eye (Lond), 2009;23(2):362–7.
- Kaplan-Messas A, Cohen Y, Blumenthal E, et al.,
Trabeculectomy and phaco-trabeculectomy with and without
peripheral iridectomy, Eur J Ophthalmol, 2009;19(2):231–4.
- Shingleton BJ, Chaudhry IM, O’Donoghue MW,
Phacotrabeculectomy: peripheral iridectomy or no peripheral
iridectomy?, J Cataract Refract Surg, 2002;28(6):998–1002.
- WilkinsM, Indar A,Wormald R, Intra-operative Mitomycin C
for glaucoma surgery, Cochrane Database Syst Rev,
- Shin DH, Ren J, Juzych MS, et al., Primary glaucoma triple
procedure in patients with primary open-angle glaucoma: the
effect of mitomycin C in patients with and without prognostic
factors for filtration failure, Am J Ophthalmol, 1998;125(3):346–52.
- Carlson DW, Alward WL, Barad JP, et al., A randomized study
of mitomycin augmentation in combined phacoemulsification
and trabeculectomy, Ophthalmology, 1997;104(4):719–24.
- Cohen JS, Greff LJ, Novack GD, et al., A placebo-controlled,
double masked evaluation of mitomycin C in combined
glaucoma and cataract procedures, Ophthalmology,
- Desai MA, Gedde SJ, Feuer WJ, et al., Practice preferences for
glaucoma surgery: a survey of the American Glaucoma
Society in 2008, Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging, 2011;42(3):202–8.
- Nassiri N, Nassiri N, Sadeghi Yarandi S, et al., Combined
phacoemulsification and Ahmed valve glaucoma drainage
implant: a retrospective case series, Eur J Ophthalmol,
- Chung AN, Aung T, Wang JC, et al., Surgical outcomes of
combined phacoemulsification and glaucoma drainage
implant surgery for Asian patients with refractory glaucoma
with cataract, Am J Ophthalmol, 2004;137(2):294–300.
- Hoffman KB, Feldman RM, Budenz DL, et al., Combined
cataract extraction and Baerveldt glaucoma drainage
implant: indications and outcomes, Ophthalmology,
- Molteno AC, Whittaker KW, Bevin TH, et al., Otago Glaucoma
Surgery Outcome Study: long term results of cataract
extraction combined with Molteno implant insertion or
trabeculectomy in primary glaucoma, Br J Ophthalmol,
- Francis BA, Singh K, Lin SC, et al., Novel glaucoma
procedures: a report by the American Academy of
Ophthalmology, Ophthalmology, 2011;118(7):1466–80.
- Godfrey DG, Fellman RL, Neelakantan A, Canal surgery in
adult glaucomas, Curr Opin Ophthalmol, 2009;20(2):116–21.
- Grant WM, Experimental aqueous perfusion in enucleated
human eyes, Arch Ophthalmol, 1963;69:783–801.
- Fluorouracil Filtering Surgery Study Group, Five-year
follow-up of the Fluorouracil Filtering Surgery Study,
Am J Ophthalmol, 1996;121(4):349–66.
- Francis BA, Minckler D, Dustin L, et al., Combined cataract
extraction and trabeculotomy by the internal approach for
coexisting cataract and open-angle glaucoma: initial results,
J Cataract Refract Surg, 2008;34(7):1096–103.
- Fea AM, Phacoemulsification versus phacoemulsification
with micro-bypass stent implantation in primary open-angle
glaucoma: randomized double-masked clinical trial,
J Cataract Refract Surg, 2010;36(3):407–12.
- Samuelson TW, Katz LJ, Wells JM, et al., Randomized
evaluation of the trabecular micro-bypass stent with
phacoemulsification in patients with glaucoma and cataract,
- Spiegel D, Wetzel W, Neuhann T, et al., Coexistent primary
open-angle glaucoma and cataract: interim analysis of a
trabecular micro-bypass stent and concurrent cataract
surgery, Eur J Ophthalmol, 2009;19(3):393–9.
- Kanner EM, Netland PA, Sarkisian SR Jr, et al., Ex-PRESS
miniature glaucoma device implanted under a scleral flap
alone or combined with phacoemulsification cataract
surgery, J Glaucoma, 2009;18(6):488–91.
- Rivier D, Roy S, Mermoud A, Ex-PRESS R-50 miniature
glaucoma implant insertion under the conjunctiva combined
with cataract extraction, J Cataract Refract Surg,
- Traverso CE, De Feo F, Messas-Kaplan A, et al., Long term
effect on IOP of a stainless steel glaucoma drainage implant
(Ex-PRESS) in combined surgery with phacoemulsification,
Br J Ophthalmol, 2005;89(4):425–9. Erratum in: Br J Ophthalmol,
- Shingleton B, Tetz M, Korber N, Circumferential viscodilation
and tensioning of Schlemm canal (canaloplasty) with
temporal clear corneal phacoemulsification cataract surgery
for open-angle glaucoma and visually significant cataract:
one-year results, J Cataract Refract Surg, 2008;34(3):433–40.
- Al Sabti K, Raizada S, Al Abduljalil T, Cataract surgery
assisted by anterior endoscopy, Br J Ophthalmol,
- Barkana Y, Morad Y, Ben-nun J, Endoscopic
photocoagulation of the ciliary body after repeated failure
of trans-scleral diode-laser cyclophotocoagulation,
Am J Ophthalmol, 2002;133(3):405–7.
- Shaarawy T, Grehn F, Sherwood M (eds), Guidelines on
design and reporting of glaucoma surgical trials, 2009.
Available at: www.worldglaucoma.org/Download/
dl_files.php?id=1 (accessed 9 January 2012).
Share this Article