The ARIES trial compares an early versus a late start for a treat-and-extend (T&E) regimen, an increasingly popular approach to treatment worldwide, for wet or neovascular age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Professor Paul Mitchell gives an overview of the study, and discusses wet AMD and the differences to dry AMD, the specifics and benefits of the T&E regimen and the importance of dosing frequency in real-world cases.
1. Could you please summarise the study design, rationale and aims of the ongoing ARIES clinical trial? What is unique with the ARIES study? (0:11)
2. What is wet age-related macular degeneration (also known as neovascular AMD), and how does it differ in pathogenesis and manifestation from dry AMD? (1:46)
3. What is aflibercept, and how does it differ from other anti-VEGF drugs? (2:42)
4. How does the treat-and-extend (T&E) regimen differ from a monthly treatment regimen? Are there any benefits of T&E compared with monthly treatment? (3:20)
5. How important is the dosing frequency for real-world AMD treatment from the point of view of both patients and clinicians? (4:11)
Speaker disclosures: Paul Mitchell is a speaker for Bayer.
Filmed at the American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO) 2018 Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, US, 27–30 October 2018.
Share this Video
Related Videos In Retina/Vitreous
Roxane Hillier, EURETINA 2021: Retinal Recovery after Pneumatic Retinopexy
We were delighted to catch up with Roxane Hillier (Newcastle Eye Centre, Newcastle, UK), who gave us her insights on the impact of pneumatic retinopexy (PnR) on vision-related quality of life, and retinal recovery following PnR. Questions What is the impact of pneumatic retinopexy (PnR) on vision-related quality of life? (00:13) What is known about […]
Roxane Hillier, EURETINA 2021: Pneumatic Retinopexy for the Management of Rhegmatogenous Retinal Detachment
It was wonderful to speak with Roxane Hillier (Newcastle Eye Centre, Newcastle, UK) about the advantages of pneumatic retinopexy compared with pars plana vitrectomy for the management of rhegmatogenous retinal detachment. Questions Why has the optimal surgical technique for the treatment of rhegmatogenous retinal detachment (RRD) been controversial? (00:12) What are the advantages of pneumatic […]
Paisan Ruamviboonsuk, EURETINA 2021: Artificial Intelligence Platforms for Diagnosis and Screening for Polypoidal Choroidal Vasculopathy
We enjoyed catching up with Paisan Ruamviboonsuk (Rajavithi Hospital, Bangkok, Thailand) about the clinical evidence supporting the use of artificial intelligence platforms in diagnosis and screening for polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy, and the unanswered questions that remain. Questions What clinical evidence supports the use of artificial intelligence platforms in the diagnosis and screening for polypoidal choroidal […]
Journal articles and more to your inbox
Get the latest clinical insights from touchOPHTHALMOLOGYSign me up!